Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Favorite Seafood Recipe


I love to cook, it's one thing I'm sure about myself. Seafood is my family's favorite especially my son Antonio. He knows his food and we find his taste expensive. I have observed that seafood here is mostly imported which makes them a little pricey. But anyways my favorite seafood is scallop. I love its sweet taste. I always make Pasta with Pesto and Scallops. Here is the recipe and let me know if you have any suggestions about the recipe. If you have a different version you can share it with me.

Ingredients:
16 ounces dry fettuccine pasta
1/4 cup pesto
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons dry white wine
2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 pound scallops
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

In a large pot with boiling salted water cook fettuccini pasta until al dente. Drain. Stir in pesto sauce and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons olive oil until soft. Add green bell pepper, mushrooms and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in dry white wine, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil. Add scallops and toss for 2 minutes. Take care not to overcook the scallops, as they will toughen when exposed to prolonged heat.

Toss the pesto covered pasta with the scallop sauce. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

I think this recipe would make a great contender for the 2008 Great American Seafood Cook-Off which will be on Aug.2-3 at the New Orleans Morial Convention Center. This recipe has the quality of “positiveness of domestic seafood sustainability” for the very simple reason that all the ingredients can be bought locally. How I wish I can watch this event with Antonio. I hope they will have this in Massachusetts next year. I guess I'll just have to wait for this event to be aired on TV on September 12, 2008 at 7:00pm ET/PT on The Food Network.